What Makes Me Feel Alive
I try to feel alive every single day, because its those days that are worth remembering.
Here are some of the things I do that make me feel alive:
- Being present in the moment - Go outside right now, sit on the nearest bench you can find, and pay attention to your senses. What do you hear? See? Smell? Taste? Feel? Do not judge it and do not try to make anything of it. Just be alive!
- Acting excited - Pretend like you are 7-years-old and you just woke up on christmas morning after thinking for hours what gifts you might get. I do this when I wake up in the morning before I go, when I go any place, and even when I am waiting for my food at the restaurant. Excitement is a muscle you can train, and once you do life is a lot more exhilirating!
- Working hard - That moment when you worked all night on a project and got it done creates one of the best feelings in the world. That liberating feeling of having dropped a boulder off your shoulders and just looking at the ceiling thinking how proud you are of yourself.
- Getting physical (running, jumping, dancing, etc.) - My girlfriend does this a lot. She will go to the bathroom (we have a pretty wide, open bathroom), put in her headphones and just start dancing! She hops, skips, jumps and parties hard to the point where almost all her socks are ripped and have gaping holes in them. That is one of her favorite things to do and she says it allows her to release all emotions and feel alive.
- Going to my limits - The next time you go to your workout follow Mohammed Alis advice. Do not count until it starts to hurt. And then count your regular reps/sets. It’s going to suck. You are going to hate it. And you will want to quit a dozen times or more. But if you stick through with it and break that limit you will feel incredible!
- Experiencing emotions, any emotions - When was the last time you just sat back in your chair and let the emotion take you over, whatever it was. When did you last cry to the point where you needed to stop or you felt you were going to pass out? When was the last time you cried so much that your face started to hurt? When was the last time you just enjoyed the moment? Feel whatever you can. It’s a sign that you are alive.